Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care Reform- what happens now??

I received probably a dozen phone calls today from my clients, some past clients and other insurance professionals wondering what the bill means.

Here is how I can answer it. Within six months the following will happen..

Children will not be subject to pre-existing conditions

A Government Risk pool will be established- You will have to be uninsured for at least six months to qualify for this.

The will be an EXTERNAL review on all rescission cases. A rescission occurrs when an applicant does not include important information on their application.

Prevenative services will be covered with no co-pay and no deductible.

Tax Credits based upon your income will become available

Children will be able to stay on their parents policy until they are 26 years of age.

In the year 2014 is when the big changes occur. In 2014, all policies will become guarantee issue. And you will be able to shop either through an insurance agent like you do now, or shop through what is being called an insurance exchange.

The insurance agent will be able to help you apply for the available tax credits.

WHAT YOU SHOULD EXPECT...


Expect your insurance premiums to go up substantially. I currently pay about $300 per month for myself and my children, I am expecting that number to triple. This is for a few reasons. Now my plan is more catestrophic in nature and I pay for my preventative coverage myself. That will be in the plan now. There also will be cost increases, since insurance carriers will be covering expensive conditions.


Should you have any questions on the reform bill, please call Eric Wilson, a Chicago based insurance agent. He can be reached toll free at 888-448-5370. You can visit online at www.isellhealth.net or email him at isellhealth@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Health Insurance said...

Eric,
Most carriers now do offer the preventative care without the co-pay, in my opinion, plans that exist today are generous.

I sell health said...

I agree the plans are generous now. The prevenative is often times left to the carrier, for example a lot of carriers, for Mammograms it is a "covered" expense, but it applies to the dedudible.