Friday, October 29, 2010

Are these services Free?

I am always concerned when I hear something is free. I have always been taught there is no such thing as a free lunch, or phrases like nothing gets you nothing everything has a little price.

In the healthcare reform bill, some of the entitlements kicked in on September 23rd of this year. The biggest one in my opinion is in the preventative care section of the bill. This is where I hate the word free. I keep hearing... Mammograms are free, PSA tests are free, some immunizations are free.

Free at what cost??

When you add benefits, you have to add premium. I have seen premiums increase between 5% and about 15% since October 1 of this year. Now I am not sure the real difference if I have to pay more for the service and have no deductible or co-pay, or if I can pay less and have a co-pay or a deductible.

My personal belief with health insurance, car insurance, home owners insurance, whichever, is that INSURANCE should be for things you cannot pay for on your own. I have home owners insurance incase, I have a fire and I would have to re-build it. Auto Liability incase I heaven forbid rear end someone. I do not need coverage for something that costs $100. I can pay that. I do not think in the history of this country anyone has gone bankrupt for $100 or even $1000.

You need insurance to protect yourself and your assets against the CATESTROPHIC LOSS. Now we have to pay in the form of a higher premium for something I could pay for out of my pocket.

Something to think about, how many FREE SERVICES, do you want to pay for?

Another thing as that children can now stay on their parents policy until they are 26 years old. Not sure how I feel about this one. I think if the child ( and when you are 26 are you still considered a child?) is getting an advanced degree, that is a fabulous idea. If the child has a medical condition still fabulous, but everyone else, not so sure. Heck, I did not want to burden my parents at all at that age. Some States that is age 28 or 30. We all want the best for our children, but again we need some common sense here, if the child can get insurance on his own, he should regardless of who pays for it.

These are my thoughts of the week.

Eric Wilson is President of I Sell Health, Inc. A Chicago based Insurance Agency. He represents most carriers in Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin and has just added New Hampshire. He can be reached toll free at 888-448-5370. You can visit online at www.isellhealth.net. You can email at isellhealth@gmail.com

No comments: